KETO is a diet that is characterized by extremely low carbs (7%), extremely high fat (73%) and below-average protein (20%). It is designed to be very effective at producing fast weight loss for the short term on an average daily caloric intake of around 1300 kcal.
On this plan intermittent fasting is also practiced which cuts out one meal per day reducingy total daily calories with an additional 300 kcal to 1000 kcal.
KETO is an abbreviation for ketogenic (i.e. ketone generating), which is a diet that emphasizes quick weight loss by slashing the carbs you consume and, instead, filling up on fats, which causes the body to produce ketones (natural by-product of fat burning) helping you to enter a state of ketosis, where your fat-burning system now relies mainly on fat – instead of sugar (carbs) for energy.
Intermittent Fasting (IF) is not a diet per se but could be more accurately described as an eating pattern that cycles between periods of feeding and fasting. It could be added to any eating plan you are on as it does not specify which foods you should eat but rather when you should eat them, which for most means skipping a meal causing a reduction in total caloric intake to the tune of 300-500 calories per day, which can assist any weight loss plan.
Here are the three most practiced forms of IF:
- The 16/8 method: Restrict your daily eating period to 8 hours by skipping breakfast or dinner.
- The 24-hour method: Fast from dinner one day until dinner the next day, one to two times per week.
- The 5:2 method: Consume only 500–600 calories on two non-consecutive days of any given IF week but eat as usual the other 5 days.
We advocate the 16/8 method as it has been reported by our clients to be the simplest, most sustainable, and easiest to stick to.
Types of Food You’ll Eat On This Plan
ENJOY fatty animal protein, oils, milk butter or cacao butter, non-starchy vegetables, and stevia or monk fruit as sweeteners.
REDUCE carbohydrates (bread and pasta), starchy root veggies (potatoes, carrots, etc.), lean animal protein, and vegan protein (beans, lentils).
ELIMINATE alcohol, sugar, and artificial sweeteners.
This Plan Is Suited For:
- Age: 18-55
- Sex: Unisex
- Weight Focus: Short Term, Fastest Weight Loss
- Health Focus: Overall Health
- Ease of Application: Long Term Benefit With a Short Learning Curve
Keto Diet + IF Macro Nutrient Ratios
- Carbohydrates 7% 7%
- Protein 21% 21%
- Fat 72% 72%
Compared to Recommended Longterm Plan Ratios
- Carbohydrates (45-65%, average 51%) 51% 51%
- Protein (10-35%, average 22%) 22% 22%
- Fat (20-35%, average 27%) 27% 27%